We offer travel advice consultations at the practice. You may require vaccinations as a result of this advice, so please ensure that you call to book your appointment as soon as you can. The appointment needs to be at least 6 - 8 weeks prior to travel, however, some vaccinations must be administered up to a month apart, so it is imperative that you speak to us as early as possible.
We currently offer Travel Consultations every 4 weeks on a Friday afternoon.
Not all travel vaccines are available on the NHS - please see below for details of what we can offer at the surgery.
We are NOT a yellow fever centre, therefore cannot offer you advice regarding yellow fever immunisations or exemption certificates.
Please go to your nearest Yellow Fever Centre.
If you are travelling abroad on holiday or for work it is important to check whether you require, or are advised to have, certain immunisations or take anti-malaria medication. Your travel company may give you a general idea of the immunisations or malaria protection you require, and we can offer you advice during a travel consultation here at the surgery.
- Don’t forget that if you are visiting more than one area/country there may be different requirements.
- Please allow at least 6 weeks before travel to complete the course of immunisations. This is because vaccines take time to take effect.
Here at Castle Donington Surgery we are able to provide;
- A travel consultation to discuss your travel vaccination and medication needs.
- Up-to-date copies of immunisation records, therefore reducing the need for repeat immunisations.
- Immunisations which are available on the NHS. These are:-
- Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio (one vaccine)
- Hepatitis A
If there is less than 4 weeks before travel, you will need to attend a private travel clinic taking a printout from the surgery of your previous vaccinations. Please ask at reception for this.
At busy times of the year (eg during the summer holidays or over the winter period), you may have to wait longer for an appointment, so please book as far in advance as you can to ensure there is time for the vaccines to take effect.
We are unable to provide the following immunisations, as they are not available on the NHS
- Yellow fever
- Japanese encephalitis
- Tick borne encephalitis
- Single agent Hepatitis B
- Meningitis ACWY (if for travel alone)
- Anti-Malaria tablets
If you require these you will need to go to a private clinic and pay for them.